Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hollie's Dunedin Views

Young Leaders

On Monday the 31st of May Room8 went to the Young Leaders Conference in Dunedin…

I ran into the theatre in Dunedin, my heart is pumping; this is the day that will change my life!!! I take my seat with all the schools, we are a wee bit late so one of the speakers are speaking it’s Justin Vaughan; he is talking about his days in cricket, never giving up and going for it. All 0f a sudden it’s over and I’m thinking “that went fast!!!” Next up Mark Inglis who climbed to the summit of Mount cook, and Mount Everest with artificial legs; because the first time he tried, he lost his legs from frostbite in a snow cave for 13.5 days. I’m just thinking “How does he do it?” I found out he couldn’t of done it with out a dream!!!! Next up James Blake. James Blake is Sir Peter Blake’s son, and he is going in a shark cage underwater, in August. Also he said: “Never give up!!” Now It’s morning tea time. After morning tea it was Nick Tuitasi. He was a police officer; He told us what to do and what not to do. One of those things were, be careful of your thoughts because they become words, be careful of your words because they become actins and be careful of your actins because they become habits and be careful of your habits because they become and they become your character and your character controls your destiny. I thought about this very carefully, and thought… that’s a GREAT leader and he is a great leader because he goes to these conferences, and changes other peoples lives not just his own!!!!

The rest of the conference flew by, and I learnt heaps!!!! I also thought about everything, and I’m going to listen to everyone of those speakers. After the conference I thought Nick Tuitasi was the best speaker. By the way I forgot to tell you, all the speakers were… Justin Vaughan; Doctor and cricket player/CEO, Mark Inglis; he climbed Mount Everest and Mount Cook with artificial legs, James Blake; son of Sir Peter Blake, Nick Tuitasi; he was a police officer, Alison Shanks; gold medalist in track cycling, Mtt Gibb; Studio 2 presenter, Rob Harley; Journalist.

Thank you for reading my Recount.

By Hollie

5 comments:

  1. Hi it's Shannon
    I love how you told us alot about the Young Leaders conference it reminded me alot about it. It would of been handy for Brooke to read and understand what you were talking about because she never went.
    I loved how you told us about everything it really put a picture in my head.
    I loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Hollie. I loved how you talked about the conference great discription a cool story to read. I got enough infomation that if I wasn't there I would know everything that happened. McKeely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott here

    Awsome writing Hollie, you told us everything we needed to know about the Young Leaders Conference. It made me want to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great piece of writing.
    My heart was pumping too.
    From Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome description Hollie.
    From Kiera. :)

    ReplyDelete