Sunday, February 27, 2011

Habits of Mind - Persisting












We've begun to look at Habits of Mind and the valuable place they have in our learning and our lives in general. We brainstormed what we thought a habit was for us. Come in and check out our thoughts and reflections on the wall.
The first Habit - Perisisting - was all about not giving up, trying new ways, staying on task and remaining focussed. Again, this has been explored and there are lots of fantastic thoughts on our wall. Come in and see what you would add to it - we'd love your contributions.
Please add your examples of times when you had to persist and not give up on something - add as comments. Family members are encouraged to contribute too.

This week's HOM is Managing Impulsivity

I've also added some photos of pages from the book written and illustrated by Marie Ciota with a forward by Art Costa and Bena Kallick - the developers of HOM. (If you would like to purchase this book, please let me know and I can point you in the right direction).




9 comments:

  1. Ben w says I think the habbits of mind will be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an awesome attitude Ben. I know you will get a great deal out of Habits of Mind. (Only 1 'b' in Habits O Wise One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - and 2 brackets around my comment!! I should also proofread before hitting the 'post comment' button! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be real fun. I'll just have to manage my impulsivity and wait, tik tok tik tok.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!! I can always count on you for a laugh Travis. :-) You certainly will, although if we can get the emails sorted out, you could get started this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was running up Bluff hill I had to persist and superglue myself to it and not give up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great example Travis. Another example of what makes you a fantastic learner! I am most impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased the book a couple of years ago and the kids over here at Winton Room 4 love the poems and the illustrations created by other children. What age are the students in Room 8? Maybe we (our students) could buddy up and compare ideas about how we are developing good habits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the comment Julie. Lovely to hear from you. It is such a stunning book isn't it.
    My class are Year 5 / 6. They would love to communicate and share ideas about the HOM. I leave at the end of the term to study full-time - apart from some relieving, hopefully! Would love to get this going though. If you're still keen, email me and let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete